Posts for tag: Warts
Are your warts just as painful as ever despite months or weeks of home treatment? If so, your Wayne, NJ, podiatrist, Dr. Humaira Syed, is here to offer treatments that will finally get rid of your warts and ease your pain!
Warts form when a strain of the human papillomavirus (HPV) enters your skin through a cut, tiny scratch, or small break in your skin. Although warts are bumpy on other parts of the body, growths that develop on the bottoms of your feet tend to be flat, due to constant pressure. These warts are called "plantar" warts.
The virus is very contagious and easily spread from person to person. Touching a wart on another person, then touching your foot can result in a bumpy growth, as can sharing shoes or socks with someone who has warts.
Over-the-counter treatment products sometimes aren't strong enough to get rid of warts. This is due to how they only penetrate the first few layers of the wart and fail to reach the deeper layers. Luckily, your Wayne podiatrist offers several effective wart removal treatment options.
- Electrodesiccation and curettage, which entails the wart being scraped off of your skin. Any remaining wart cells are killed with a gentle electric current applied with a special needle.
- Salicylic acid gradually gets rid of warts layer by layer. Part or all of the wart may fall off in as little as 12 hours after the acid is applied.
- Cryotherapy is a treatment that freezes wart cells with liquid nitrogen in order to kill them. The surface of your wart will blister, causing the growth to shed the dead skin.
- Laser therapy is the newest wart treatment option, and it uses a precisely targeted laser beam to kill wart cells without harming the surrounding skin.
- Immune therapy injections offer another innovative approach to wart removal. The injections trigger your body to attack the virus and kill the wart cells.
Give us a call!
Are you tired of living with painful warts? Call your Wayne, NJ, podiatrist, Dr. Humaira Syed, at (973) 692-1111 to schedule an appointment.
What Causes Warts?
Got foot warts? Nearly everyone will have a wart at some point in their lives. Warts are typically small, hard skin growths caused by an infection with humanpallilloma virus. Foot warts are treatable. Foot warts are among the most common dermatologic conditions podiatrists treat. Read on to learn about the causes of warts.
An HPV Infection
Common warts are caused by by an HPV infection. Over 100 types of HPV exist. Certain types of HPV infection cause cervical cancer. Some types of HPV infection cause foot warts, while others cause warts that appear on the face, neck, or hands. Of the 100 types of HPV, about 60 cause common warts on areas such as the hands or feet.
Wart viruses are contagious. You can get foot warts from skin-to-skin contact with people who have warts. However, not all HPV strains are highly contagious. You can get the wart virus by touching an object that another person's wart touched, such as clothing, towels, shoes, or exercise equipment.
Breaks in Your Skin
HPV infects the top layer of skin and usually enters the body in an area of damaged or cut skin. Cuts from shaving can provide an avenue for infection. Getting a scrape can also bring on common warts. Foot warts are very common in swimmers whose feet are scratched by rough pool surfaces.
A Weak Immune System
In most cases, your immune system defeats an HPV infection before it creates a wart. Someone with a weakened immune system is more vulnerable and therefore more likely to develop warts. Immune systems can be weakened by HIV or by immunosuppressant drugs used after organ transplants.
If you want to get rid of foot warts, see your podiatrist as soon as possible. Many types of effective wart treatments are available. They include salicylic acid, cantharidin, cryotherapy, laser treatment, and surgery. Your podiatrist can help you get rid of foot warts once and for all!