Posts for tag: Foot Injury
Ankle sprains are fairly common and can happen while playing a sport like basketball or while out on a run, or even during every day activities like twisting your ankle while getting out of a car or walking down the sidewalk. Dr. Humaira Syed, a podiatrist serving Fort Lee, Clifton, and Wayne, NJ, offers both non-invasive and surgical treatment for a number of foot and ankle injuries.
Ankle Sprain Treatment in Fort Lee, Clifton, and Wayne, NJ
Ankle sprains can range from mild to severe depending on the force applied when you twist your ankle and whether there are any resulting tears to any of the bands of tissue that stabilize and attach to the ankle. The most common signs and symptoms of an ankle sprain include:
- Pain and tenderness when you touch or apply pressure to the injured ankle
- A popping or cracking sound at the time of the injury
- Ankle instability
- Bruising and swelling
- Limited range of motion/difficulty rotating the ankle
There are a few risk factors that can increase your risk of spraining your ankle during exercise or physical activity:
- Play sports that involve jumping, running and stopping or changing direction frequently, or playing on an uneven surface. Ankle sprains are most common in tennis, basketball, baseball, football, and soccer
- Weak ankles or previous ankle injuries
- Wearing shoes with insufficient support to the feet and ankles or don't fit (speak to your podiatrist about orthotics if you have flat feet or low arches)
- Excessive weight or lack of strength training and toning
In most cases, mild to moderate ankle sprains can be treated conservatively with a combination of rest, ice, physical therapy, medication and compression depending on the severity and symptoms. If an ankle sprain is severe and results in torn tissue or bone fracture, surgery may be an option to stabilize the ankle and ensure that it heals properly.
Find a Podiatrist in Fort Lee, Clifton, and Wayne, NJ
For more information about your treatment options for ankle sprains and other foot and ankle injuries and conditions, contact REDS Ankle & Foot Associates by calling (973) 692-1111 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Syed today.