How your podiatrist in Wayne, Fort Lee, and Clifton, NJ, can help with bunion pain
Bunions can be disfiguring, painful, and unfortunately, very common. In fact, over 50% of women in this country have had a bunion at some point in their lives. If you are suffering from bunion pain, don’t worry—our podiatrist, Dr. Humaira Syed, can help. Read on to learn how our offices in Wayne, Fort Lee, and Clifton, NJ, can treat your foot pain!
More about bunions
Bunions are hard, bony bumps located next to your big toe. They are often caused by a combination of genetics and a habit of wearing too-narrow shoes, an action that causes the outside edge of your big toe to rub against the inside of your shoe, causing friction, inflammation, and eventually, a bunion.
Accordingly, it’s important to prevent bunion formation by wearing shoes with enough room to prevent your toes from crushing each other. If you do develop a bunion, however, you can try a few simple remedies at home to help with the pain. Consider:
- Placing an ice pack on the bunion several times each day to reduce swelling
- Placing inserts or padding inside your shoes to prevent friction
- Taping the bunion for added support and cushioning
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
For larger, severely painful bunions, it’s best to talk with an expert. Dr. Syed may recommend:
- Shaving corns or calluses to reduce friction
- Physical therapy and stretching to maintain flexibility
- Custom-made orthotics, night splints, and other devices to stabilize your feet and toes
- Surgery to remove the bunion and realign your toe
Give us a call
You don’t have to be one of the many people suffering from bunion pain—you can get relief by calling your podiatrist. To find out more about bunion treatment and other foot care services, call Dr. Humaira Syed at Reds Ankle & Foot Associates with offices in Wayne, Fort Lee, and Clifton, NJ. Dial (973) 692-1111 today and help your feet!